Wednesday, March 4, 2020

"Small Decisions, Big Impacts" by State Treasurer Victoria Higdon

March Blog

What is the best decision you ever made? For me, it’s usually the one with a grand accomplishment at the end of the story that shows exactly how successful I was. But in truth, my best decisions are not always ones that reach the grand spotlight.
For example, agreeing to do a public speaking contest was one such decision. In the beginning, I was absolutely terrified. At the first contest, I could barely even look the other competitors in the face because my nerves were getting to me. Yet I decided I was going to learn my speech, research the topic, and practice for hours until I got it down. Joining my school’s cross-country team was another. I wasn’t the fastest runner or the most motivated. However, I decided I was going to do all my workouts, run without stopping and beat my mile time. My next big decision was to put in my application to run for a state office, but my mind was filled with self-doubt. What experience or skill could I possibly bring to the table? Why would they choose me? But I had decided I was going to give my best long before I filled out that application.
I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get caught up in the other candidates’ accomplishments. They were area officers, state winners, and proficiency award finalists. How could I compare? I forgot the accomplishments I made because I didn’t believe them to be as grand as everyone else’s. I soon realized that no title would make my impacts any more or less meaningful, but instead the care and work I put into them. My best decision was never giving up on the small things, that in turn made up the big things.
If I had quit doing public speaking, I couldn’t expect myself to give great speeches. If I never finished a race, then I couldn’t expect myself to get up early in the mornings and give my all in everything I did that day. If I neglected the needs of my chapter, there was no way I would be able to be there for my state. If I ignored every opportunity for success because I “didn’t feel like it” or “didn’t want to”, what makes me think I would ever be there for myself or be successful in my future career? Since I gave my all at the small tasks, I don’t struggle for the big tasks.
Being a state officer does not mean you start making a difference. It means you continue making the difference that you’ve already started to make. For those of you considering running for an area or state office- if you have a genuine love, mindset, and work ethic for the FFA, our members, and agricultural education, you will always be enough to be a leader. Being a member now means you can make your own impacts that will serve you and your community regardless of what stage you’re at in your FFA career. In return, those impacts will positively follow you for a long time. Louisiana FFA, I encourage you to go out there and start making those best decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment