Monday, April 1, 2019

"The Role of Alumni Members" By Brooklyn Hampton, State President

April Blog


Our time in the blue jackets is filled with wild adventures, once-in-a-lifetime relationships, and a tremendous amount of knowledge gained. One of the most memorable times I have experienced within my blue jacket is competing the Agronomy Career Development Event. My team and I spent many hours preparing for the competition and were fortunate enough to represent Louisiana on the national level, and eventually win the National Agronomy CDE in 2016. Now this was such a great accomplishment for my team and I--I mean, we were national champions--but looking back, my favorite part about the Agronomy competition was not winning, it was learning how to learn and sharing such an awesome experience with my teammates, who grew to be my brothers. As FFA members we have opportunities to grow and challenge ourselves at such a young age that we stand out amongst our peers. We become leaders, educators, relationship builders and advocates for agriculture. FFA becomes a part of who we are, but what happens when our time in the blue jacket is up? Do we throw away everything that has helped make us who we are? Do we forget about the organization that educates students about our nation’s largest industry? What do we do when we hang up our jackets for the very last time?
I have often thought about this as my year as a state officer quickly comes to and end and my time in the blue jacket will be no more. What will I do to stay involved in an organization that has shaped who I am? As FFA members we can transition from our time in the FFA to our time outside of the FFA, while still being involved with the organization by becoming FFA Alumni members. The National FFA Organization has made becoming an FFA alumni member easy and effective. While exploring the National Alumni page, potential alumni members can discover what type of alumni they would like to be: a fan, mentor, advocate, volunteer, or donor.  The National FFA Organization has also initiated a program called “Alumni Check In” where “checking in allows our FFA community to learn, support, unite and connect nationwide.” The national FFA alumni website offers opportunities for members and chapters to get involved as well as promotes events that alumni members can be a part of.
As past FFA members, it is our responsibility to ensure that current and future FFA members have the resources and means needed to be successful. By becoming an alumni member, we can do exactly that.

The success of the National FFA Organization depends on past members just like you and I who know the type of impact this organization makes, and to continue to lead the way for members to reach new heights. Remember the adventures, relationships, and knowledge you had the opportunity of experiencing when you were a FFA member and let those memories inspire you to become an alumni member. Becoming an alumni member will allow you to help make the same memories happen for a kid wearing that same blue jacket as you once did.

Keep on rocking,
Brooklyn Hampton

No comments:

Post a Comment